Ancient peoples used olive oil all throughout history, not only for cooking and consumption but also as medicine, perfume, soap, anointing oil, and fuel for lamps and candles. Olive oil was a status symbol representing great wealth and power, used for anointing the heads of kings, queens, and prophets throughout history. In the ancient Olympic games in Greece, athletes rubbed it all over their bodies before performing, believing it warmed their muscles.
Olive oil has been a prominent food source for thousands of years, which can attest to its amazing benefits.
health benefitsDisease Prevention: Hippocrates recorded about 60 conditions that can be healed through the use of olive oil—from skin conditions to ear infections. Modern medical studies likewise show that routinely consuming high-quality EVOO can help with the following:
- Lower risk of stroke, heart disease and certain mental conditions, such as Alzheimer’s.
- Regulate insulin levels.
- Strengthen immune system.
- Improve brain health and function.
- Reduce the risk of certain types of cancers.
Digestion: EVOO is a super-powered food when it comes to digestion. Studies show that it helps with the following:
- Assists the liver to release bile.
- Reinforces beneficial mucus in the colon.
- Functions as a mild laxative for those who suffer from constipation.
- Contains monounsaturated oils that increase the speed of bowel evacuation, which can help against bloating and flatulence.
Depression: The Omega-3 fatty acids found in olive oil are very prominent for their anti-inflammatory properties and are believed to have a profound effect on the nervous system. An increasing number of studies reveal how, with help from the gut-brain axis connection, the state of our gut microbiota directly affects the state of our mind. By lowering the amount of inflammation in your body and focusing on a diet rich in a diverse range of nutritious foods, the diversity of good gut microbiota will increase, which is believed to have a positive influence on one’s mental health.
A study called ‘The Sun Project’ is one fascinating example and can be found here.
Skin: EVOO is packed with antioxidants and vitamins that help nourish and hydrate the skin. It is helpful to prevent dry skin (the main cause of wrinkles), condition cuticles, soften rough patches on the feet and elbows, and heal cuts and fissures.
Olive oil contains all the essential vitamins necessary to help protect against cell oxidation. This makes it a good aid to treat various skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis, eczema, and diaper rash.
Hair: EVOO is full of nutrients and minerals that benefit the scalp. It helps condition and moisturize the hair while reducing frizz. Create a hair mask to help restore moisture and prevent split ends by combining two tablespoons of Zimms Organics EVOO, one tablespoon of honey, and one pasture-raised egg yolk. Lather the mixture through the hair, tie it up in a towel or a bun, and leave it for thirty minutes or longer. Rinse.
Teeth: The potent, peppery taste in authentic EVOO can help activate salivary enzymes in the tongue, which can help draw toxins out of the mouth. The high quantity of polyphenols active in EVOO has amazing antibacterial effects as well. Oil pulling is a re-emerging trend with roots in Ayurvedic medicine that helps remove bacteria from the mouth and prevent bad breath, tooth decay, and gum problems. This is done by gently swishing the oil in your mouth for twenty minutes. When finished, spit the contents of your mouth into the trash. Do not swallow: the oil now contains bacteria and plaque that would not be good for your digestive system.
Non-toxic makeup remover: Pure olive oil is perfect for removing waterproof mascara and other eye makeup.
- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0963996914003494 https://www.internationaloliveoil.org/evoo-and-skin/
- https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article/79/12/1362/6133931 http://www.aoopa.org/news/new-studies-continue-to-show-benefits-of-olive-oil-for-both-physical-and-mental-health
- https://www.healthdigest.com/489062/olive-oil-has-an-unexpected-effect-on-your-mental-health/ https://www.jandonline.org/article/S2212-2672(21)01044-3/fulltext