To us, summer means spending every possible moment outside: visiting the coast, hiking mountains, or adventuring through parks with friends. However, rising temperatures also bring unwanted critters, so we created this natural bug balm that you can easily make at home and carry with you all summer long. Simply spread some onto your ankles, wrists, and neck. The strong aroma from the essential oils will repel bugs and allow you to fully embrace this season wherever you go!
The specific essential oils used in this recipe can be adapted based on what you have, but popular choices include citronella, lemongrass, cedarwood, tea tree, eucalyptus, lavender, and peppermint. Select any three and add approximately 15–25 drops of each. For this recipe, we simply used what we had on hand. Consult this article to learn which oils pair the best together!
- 14 oz. coconut oil
- 2 oz. Zimms Organics HEAL EVOO
- 1 oz. beeswax pellets
- 25 drops tea tree essential oil
- 15 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil
- Measure out your essential oils in a small glass container.
- Combine the coconut oil, EVOO, and beeswax in a small glass or ceramic bowl.
- Fill a small pot with one inch of water and slowly bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Once simmering, set your bowl over the pot to create a double boiler, gently stirring to assist the melting process.
- When just melted, remove the bowl from the pot and pour the mixture into a glass measuring cup.
- Stir in the essential oils. (Note: Ensure the EVOO/beeswax mixture is not steaming hot but slightly warm. It is important to work quickly, as the balm will solidify at room temperature.)
- Pour into one large 18 oz. jar or multiple smaller containers. These tin containers make your repellant incredibly convenient to take on the go.
- Let the balm set until semi-solid and enjoy!