This recipe makes the most of everything nature has to offer this month by incorporating a few seasonal crops, which results in a delightful spin on the traditional butternut squash soup. It is one of the coziest meals you can have on hand as we step deeper into the colder months—and full of antioxidants to keep your immune system strong during its vulnerable season.
- 3 tablespoons Zimms COOK EVOO
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can (13.5 fluid ounces) full-fat coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, combine the EVOO and onions over medium heat. Cook for about 5–10 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add a large pinch of salt to encourage them to release moisture.
- Add the apple and cook for a 3–5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the squash, broth, and a 2–3 more large pinches of salt, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the squash is tender (about 15–20 minutes).
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend the soup until smooth. If you prefer your soup a little thinner, add an additional tablespoon of broth.
- Season to taste.
- Serve topped with fresh herbs, pumpkin seeds, a dollop of crème fraîche, a drizzle of EVOO, or a slice of sourdough.