This popular folk remedy contains a wide range of health benefits that can help ward off colds and other common winter illnesses. Its combination of spicy and pungent ingredients offers numerous antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties.
Note: This recipe requires about 4–6 weeks of infusion, so we recommend beginning it soon so it will be ready just in time for the dark days of winter.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup grated fresh horseradish
- 2–3 fresh hot peppers (such as jalapeños or habaneros—wear gloves when handling), chopped
- 1 lemon cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ orange cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 sprigs each of fresh rosemary and thyme
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Raw apple cider vinegar (to cover)
- ¼ cup raw local honey (optional but recommended)
- Place the vegetables, herbs, citrus, and spices into a 1-quart glass mason jar.
- Pour enough vinegar over the contents to fully cover all the ingredients.
- Seal the jar tightly with a lid and store in a cool, dark place for 4–6 weeks, shaking it daily to help with the infusion process.
- After sufficiently infused, strain the liquid into a clean container using a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Squeeze out as much liquid from the solids as you can.
- At this point, it is a good idea to add some local raw honey. While this is not necessary, the honey can help balance the cider’s strong spices. Honey also offers many antimicrobial benefits that can help the immune system. Gently warm the honey in a saucepan and mix it into the cider until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the liquid to a clean glass jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 months.
We traditionally take a tablespoon of fire cider daily for preventative measures, and when we’re feeling under the weather, we increase the dosage to one tablespoon three times a day. To consume, you can dilute it in a glass of filtered water, add it to a warm cup of bone broth, or take it straight up as a shot.
Our shot glasses come in particularly handy for this regimen. Feel free to mix your fire cider with our HEAL EVOO for the ultimate immunity booster. EVOO, in particular, is extremely helpful for sore throats and flu-like symptoms thanks to its abundance of polyphenols. You’ll be feeling better in no time.
Enjoy in good health!