In these ripe days of summer, berries are at their most plentiful. This recipe takes full advantage of our summer abundance, lending a tart burst of flavor to the standard olive oil cake. This cake is a wonderful, healthier dessert option thanks to our olive oil’s additional antioxidants and polyphenols so you can indulge the right way.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- ¾ cup Zimms COOK EVOO & 1 tablespoon for the pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries—see what your local growers are selling if you really want the freshest flavors!)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Rub an 8-inch pan with EVOO and line with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, sugar, and lemon zest. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add the olive oil and vanilla. Mix everything until well combined.
- Alternate adding the milk and dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Combine until your batter is smooth.
- Gently fold the mixed berries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for about 30–40 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).
- Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Before serving, we love to finish this cake off with a dollop of fresh homemade whipped cream. To make your own, whisk a pint of heavy cream with 2 tablespoons of sugar (optional) using an electric mixer. Whisk until soft peaks form and add a dollop to the cake before serving.
Enjoy in good health with friends and family!