In today's world, where convenience often takes precedence, opting for locally sourced and organic food goes beyond personal preference- it represents a commitment to our well being, community and the sustainability of our planet. At Zimms Organics we deeply understand the impact that embracing local organic produce can have on both our bodies and the environment. David’s own journey towards natural healing and wellness is why we passionately advocate for and practice this approach.
enhanced nutritional & flavor benefits of organic, local produce
Organic, local farming ensures that fruits and vegetables are nurtured in an environment free from synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. This enhances their natural growth. When harvested at the peak of ripeness, organic produce boasts superior value, flavor and nutrition density. The meticulous care taken in organic and local farming practices results in produce that not only contains higher levels of essential nutrients but also excels in taste.
In the world of olive oil, the distinction of being not only local and organic, but also single origin and single varietal is even more significant. These practices ensure a delicious flavor and consistent quality, while also providing a level of transparency in sourcing that is rare in the industry. Many brands found on store shelves are often blended from a number of different sources. Single origin and single varietal EVOO produced by local and organic farmers means high quality and potent health benefits. You can be sure that you’re getting the real deal EVOO because David works with the family farms directly.
support for local farmers and economy
By choosing local produce you actively support small scale farmers while also contributing to your local economy. This fosters a complete sense of local community and ensures fair compensation for those who work diligently to grow the food we enjoy.
reduced environmental footprint
Non-local produce travels thousands of miles before reaching your plate. Opting for local ingredients significantly diminishes carbon emissions associated with transportation, refrigeration and storage processes. This makes choosing local a far more environmentally friendly choice.
aligning diet with nature’s rhythms
Understanding the connection between our diet and nature's rhythms is crucial. Our ancestors followed diets that aligned with the availability of produce, teaching us a clear lesson about eating in harmony with nature. Each season brings requirements: during spring leafy greens are beneficial for detoxification, in summer fruits like watermelon and berries provide hydration, and in winter squashes and root vegetables offer warmth and sustenance. By embracing this cycle we ensure that our bodies receive the right nourishment at the right time, promoting overall health and well being as we synchronize ourselves with the changing seasons.
the zimms organics dedication
At Zimms, our EVOO reflects our commitment to sourcing locally and practicing sustainability. We carefully choose olives from farmers who share our environmental values and ensure the best quality products that are potent in polyphenols (super antioxidants in high quality EVOO).
When you choose Zimms Organics EVOO you're not only indulging in a premium product, you're also contributing to a network of local farmers and playing your part in building a sustainable food system. It's our way of bringing nature's best to your table while nurturing the local community that makes it all possible.
seasonal variety and creativity in cooking
Exploring the seasonal local produce available not only adds diversity to your meals but also sparks creativity in the kitchen. Explore one of our favorite local winter recipes at the base of this week’s edition.
a locally inspired zimms evoo recipe
Winter Warm Vegetable Stew
This hearty stew is the perfect choice for those winter nights. Packed with the finest selection of locally sourced winter vegetables. It boasts a blend of nutrients, flavors and cozy warmth.
ingredients (shop organic if possible):
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (Zimms Organics EVOO)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 parsnips (peeled and diced)
- 1 small turnip (peeled and diced)
- 1 sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 oz) of diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of kale with stems removed and leaves (chopped)
- Optional: Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until they become tenderized. This usually takes around 3 to five minutes.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, turnip and sweet potatoes into the pot. Cook them for five minutes while occasionally stirring.
- Pour in the vegetable broth along with the tomatoes. Sprinkle in the thyme and rosemary while also adding salt and pepper.
- Start by bringing the stew to a boil and then lower the heat and let it simmer, keeping it covered for 25 minutes. This will allow the vegetables to become tender.
- Next stir in the chopped kale. Continue cooking for 5 minutes until the kale becomes wilted and tender.
- Take a moment to taste the stew and adjust the seasoning as needed. When serving, enjoy it hot with a sprinkle of parsley if desired.
A tip from the chef: This stew is quite versatile. It can easily be adjusted based on what local produce is available in your area. For an added protein boost, consider incorporating beans or lentils into the mix.
Choosing to eat local produce goes beyond being a passing trend. It's a decision that has crucial advantages for our well being, local community and the environment. We encourage you to start exploring farmers markets, participating in community supported agriculture (CSA) programs and witnessing firsthand the impact that local produce can have on your life.
Always remember that even the smallest choices can bring about significant transformations. Let's ensure that our choices are ones that lead to a positive future.